Pramesh S Jain
As part of the Clean Up Bengaluru campaign and with a commitment to ensuring safe and obstruction-free pedestrian movement,BESCOM continued its clearance and cleanliness drive across various parts of the city on Sunday.
The drive included the removal of defunct or unused electrical transformer centres and other redundant infrastructure from footpaths,along with cleaning activities.
Under the leadership of BESCOM Managing Director Dr. N. Shivashankara,BESCOM personnel began clearance operations on major roads late on Saturday night.
The drive resumed from 6 am.on Sunday across several locations, including Malleshwaram,Rajajinagar,Hebbal, Rajarajeshwari Nagar,KHB Colony Main Road, Koramangala,Nagawara,Bangarappa Nagar Main Road, Thanisandra, Kothanur,Sunkadakatte,Nagarabhavi, Kommaghatta Main Road,Uttarahalli Main Road, Katriguppe,Whitefield and Mahadevapura.


As part of the exercise,GOS operating rods were also raised to a height of seven feet from ground level.
The Clean Up Bengaluru month-long campaign was announced by Chief Minister,D.K.Shivakumar. Energy and Tourism Minister,K.J.George launched the campaign on August 1 and directed that the initiative be continued.
Accordingly, BESCOM officers and staff have been carrying out the clearance and cleaning activities in a campaign mode.
80% of Clearance and Cleaning Works Completed ;
Speaking during his inspection of the clearance works at various locations on Sunday,BESCOM Managing Director Dr.N.Shivashankara said,BESCOM had initiated the removal of defunct or unused electrical transformer centres and other redundant equipment from footpaths three months ago.
Since August 1,the work has been taken up in campaign mode under the leadership of the Chief Minister and the guidance of the Energy Minister and the Bengaluru Development Minister.
At present,around 80% of the work involving the removal of defunct or unused transformer centres and other redundant infrastructure has been completed.
Going forward,our linemen will undertake cleaning around transformers every week or once every 15 days.”
He further stated that from August 1 to Sunday,August 23,BESCOM’s Clean Up Bengaluru campaign had resulted in the removal of 1,535 electrical poles,six transformer centres and nine other redundant infrastructure facilities,while 1,758 GOS operating rods had been modified.
In addition,cleaning works were undertaken at 4,836 DTC yards,1,368 RMU yards and 1,207 spun pole/DP yards.
BESCOM also carried out rewiring and yard-cleaning works at 151 feeder pillar boxes,along with rewiring and yard-cleaning works at 401 poles, he said.
“BESCOM is extending all possible support to the GBA in realising the vision of a clean and safe Bengaluru.It is commendable that BESCOM’s linemen,officers and staff are actively engaged in removing redundant equipment and carrying out cleanliness works even on a holiday.”K.J. George, Minister for Energy and Tourism told reporters.



