Three Brave Fire Fighters had a narrow escape as parked car blasts during dousing fire in Ittamadu

Pramesh S Jain & Yogesh K Porwar

A day after a fire broke out at a flat in a residential complex in Electronic City,a two-storeyed house (ground plus two) in Manjunatha Nagar was gutted in a blaze early Thursday morning.

With the help of their neighbours,the family of three jumped from the terrace to an adjoining house and escaped unscathed,said fire and emergency personnel,who suspect a short circuit to be the cause.

However three fire and emergency service personnel who were working to put out the blaze were injured when a parked car on the premises exploded.

The owner,Kishore,his wife, and another family member,who were sleeping on the second floor, woke up around 2.20pm to screams and shouts from neighbours.

When Kishore looked out of the window,he saw smoke billowing out of the ground floor windows.

He woke up the two other residents and they ran down.By then the fire had spread to the first floor and they were unable to open the door.

With all escape routes below cut off by the blaze, they ran up to the terrace.However, they were unable to enter it as it was barred by a grilles with the lock.They did not have the key with them,and it was too late to retrieve it.

Seeing their plight,neighbours from the adjoining house jumped onto the terrace,and broke open the lock.With no time to spare,they helped Kishore and his family jump onto the terrace of the adjoining house.

Soon after, the entire house was ablaze.Apart from the car,two scooters parked inside the compound were gutted.

Within minutes the fire engulfed the house and gutted with a car and two scooters parked inside the compound. Even the cylinder was also gutted in the fire.

The injured fire


-fighters identified as Harish , Rajshekhar and Muthappa, have been hospitalised.

After fire and emergency service personnel put out the fire, a team from the Forensic Science Laboratory and electrical inspectors visited the spot to probe the cause of the blaze.

We suspect that the UPS short-circuited, but will wait for the report,”said an official with the fire department.