Seized narcotics worth Rs 50 crore destroyed by Karnataka Police & to empower and strengthen enforcement agencies Looking at ways to amend NDPS Act:Basavaraj Bommai

Pramesh S Jain.Yogesh K Porwar

On the Occasion of “International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on 26th June 2021,various District SPs&CPs including CP, Bangalore will destroy the psychotropic substance (Drugs) seized in previous 12 months .

This will be destroyed as per prescribed procedure at all district headquarters in the presence of committees as per the court orders.

The Home Department has initiated the process of bringing an amendment to the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act to further empower and strengthen enforcement agencies, said Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Saturday,observed as International Day against Drug Abuse.

Legal experts and police officials are discussing with the National law school on bringing the amendment, he added.

Since the launch of a special drive against drugs last year,the police have seized Rs 50 crore worth drugs in 12 months.

While 60% of the seized drugs will be destroyed based on the approval of courts,the remaining 40% will be destroyed pending approval at FSL and at the court,he said.

The following Drugs will be Disposed across the state on 26-06-2021.

Drug seized include Ganja,poppy,LSD,MDMA, Cocaine and others.The seizure is the record highest in the country and the police continue their efforts to contain the social evil, he said.

Speaking to reporters here after attending an event as part of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, he said the war against drugs would continue and would be intensified.

Karnataka Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Saturday said narcotic substances worth over Rs 50 crore seized by the police are being destroyed in all the districts.

Today,we are destroying narcotic substances worth more than Rs 50 crore as per court orders. This is only 60 per cent, the remaining 40 per cent are at various stages like the FSL (Forensic Science Laboratory) report has to come, court permission has to be taken in some cases. We will destroy the remaining 40 per cent at the earliest,” Bommai said.

“On getting to know about activities such as transportation of narcotic substances and storing, among others, using the Covid situation, our drive against drugs has been intensified, and it is notable that large amounts of seizures were done during the pandemic,” he said.

The State police is first in the country to crack darkweb related drugs cases,said Mr. Bommai. He pointed out that peddlers use sophisticated technology and the skills of various enforcement agencies including State Cyber Crime police and the Economic Offences and Narcotic wings are involved in cracking down on drug trade.

The Home Minister said those involved in international crime do not bother about global pandemics or Covid and continue with their activities, so the officials concerned have decided to track them and bring them to justice.

There is NDPS (Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances) Act against such activities, which is a central Act that cannot be amended by the State, but rules for its implementation can be changed as required and that process is on, he said.

“We are getting a study done by the National Law School as to what all the changes have to be made, how to go about it within the ambit of the Act. Following which necessary action will be taken,” he said.

Bommai further said that by breaking through the dark web, officials have been able to gather new information based on which several raids have been conducted and international players involved in these activities have been arrested.

According to officials, the drugs were being destroyed today as per prescribed procedure, and they were seized during the last 12 months. During 2020, a record 4,066 cases were booked under the NDPS Act which led to massive seizures and arrest of 5,291 people, they said.

The drugs destroyed include ganja, poppy, brown sugar, opium, heroin, hashish, charas, cocaine, MDMA powder,MDMA tablets,Amphetamine and LSD strips.

Finally Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai lauded Karnataka DG& IGP,Praveen Sood,and all the commissioners across state,with SPs,including CP Bengaluru,Kamal Pant and his entire team for their war against drug abuse and Karnataka state is the first to crack on the darkweb he said our war will continue against drugs and their will be Zero tolerance for it he added.

The Home Minister lauded the swift action of the Bengaluru police in nabbing the five accused involved in the murder of former BJP corporator Rekha Kadiresh.

On the occasion of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, let us all firmly say “NO TO DRUGS” and save our younger generation. @BlrCityPolice adopts the policy of ZERO TOLERANCE towards drugs. #WorldDrugDay2021 #NoToDrugs

International Day Against Drug Abuse & Illicit Trafficking was observed today in the presence of Hon’ble Home Min Shri @BSBommai with all officers of and above the rank of DIGPs taking an oath to eliminate drug abuse.

A record 4,066 cases were booked under NDPS Act during 2020 & 5,291 persons were arrested. The seized drugs will be destroyed as per the court’s order.

@BlrCityPolice’s war against drugs & drug peddlers will continue. We are committed to the cause of a #DrugFreeBengaluru! .Kamal Pant, Bengaluru City Police Commissioner said in his tweets .

June 26th Intl Day against Drug Abuse..v at @BlrCityPolice renew our pledge to fight against this menace..with seizure of narcotics worth Rs 21 cr in 2020 & Rs 14 cr so far in 2021, the relentless drive against drugs will continue.. @CPBlr.Sandeep Patil,Joint CP Crime said in his tweet.

Drugs seized in one year are :
Poppy——34.4 kg.
Brown sugar—1 kg.
Opium——-161.34 kg.
Heroin——-0.278 gms.
Hashish——-6.15 kg.
Charas——-5.262 kg.

Cocaine—–0.7 gms.
MDMA powder—0.68 gms.
MDMA tablets———919 tablets.
Amphetamine———0.209 gms.
LSD strips————–1,298 strips.

The Total Estimated value of the above mentioned Drugs is Rs50,23,01,619 (Fifty Crores Twenty Three Lakhs One Thousand Six Hundred and Nineteen Only).