Clarence High School Flu Scare:Civic Body Issues Notice,Says Only Two Teachers Confirmed With Flu

Pramesh S Jain 

The Bengaluru North City Corporation (BNCC) has issued a notice to Clarence High School on Pottery Road,Richards Town,for allegedly disseminating unverified information about influenza cases without prior intimation to the civic health authorities.

The action follows media reports claiming that more than 500 students and 21 staff members had been affected by influenza-like illness and that two H1N1 cases had been confirmed at the school.

According to the BNCC,its Public Health Department inspected the school on the directions of Commissioner Pommala Sunil Kumar after taking note of the reports published on August 16 and 17.

The civic body said that,during the inspection,it found that two teachers had been confirmed with flu infection.

Both had received outpatient treatment,while one had already completed treatment and resumed duty.

However,the Health Department said it did not have medical records or verified laboratory reports confirming H1N1 or flu infection among students.

The Medical Officer’s field report dated August 17, meanwhile,records that the school had reported two H1N1 cases among teachers and that around 500 students and 21 teaching and non-teaching staff were absent after the school reopened on August 13.

The report makes it clear that the information regarding H1N1 cases was still subject to verification through the surveillance system and relevant laboratory or clinical records.

Following continued absenteeism and reports of influenza-like symptoms,the school subsequently decided to suspend offline classes as a precautionary measure.It also reportedly consulted a panel of doctors and issued health advisories to parents.

No evidence linking street vendors to infections
The school had also raised concerns over alleged unhygienic conditions caused by unauthorised street food vendors operating near its premises,including waste accumulation and obstruction of footpaths.

However,health officials said there is currently no established epidemiological evidence to conclude that the nearby food vendors were the source of the reported influenza or H1N1 infections.

The BNCC said sanitation and food-hygiene concerns around the school would nevertheless be inspected and corrective action taken in coordination with the concerned civic and regulatory departments.

15-day surveillance:

The Health Department has initiated active surveillance at the school for the next 15 days.The school has been asked to maintain a line list of students and staff suffering from fever,cough,sore throat,body ache and other influenza-like symptoms.

Officials will also verify the reported H1N1 cases through the concerned healthcare facility or laboratory and enter confirmed cases into the appropriate surveillance system.

Health officials will inspect sanitation,ventilation, drinking-water facilities, toilets,waste management and other public-health measures at the school.

Food vendors around the premises will also be inspected in coordination with the Food Safety Department.

The civic body has advised the school to strengthen hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette,ventilation, environmental cleaning and isolation of symptomatic individuals.

Notice over unverified information:

The BNCC has warned the school management to communicate only verified and responsible information about infectious diseases, stating that dissemination of unverified information could create unnecessary fear and confusion among students, parents, teachers and the public.

An awareness programme on influenza prevention and precautions was also conducted for students,parents, teachers and school management.

The civic body appealed to the public not to rely on rumours or unverified reports and to follow information issued by the Health Department.

Officials said surveillance and necessary preventive measures would continue at Clarence High School in accordance with the prevailing protocols for prevention and control of influenza.