Dr KK Aggarwal
CNN)The WHO confirmed there is “emerging evidence” of airborne transmission of the coronavirus following the publication of a letter Monday signed by 239 scientists that urged the agency to be more forthcoming about the likelihood that people can catch the virus from droplets floating in the air. Dr. Benedetta Alleganzi, WHO Technical Lead for Infection Prevention and Control, said “We acknowledge that there is emerging evidence in this field, as in all other fields regarding the Covid-19 virus and pandemic and therefore we believe that we have to be open to this evidence and understand its implications regarding the modes of transmission and also regarding the precautions that need to be taken.
Many of the letter’s signatories are engineers, “which adds to growing knowledge about the importance of ventilation. We have been talking about the possibility of airborne transmission and aerosol transmission as one of the modes of transmission of Covid-19, as well as droplet. WHO has looked at fomites, fecal oral, mother to child, animal to human as well.
The possibility of airborne transmission in public settings, especially in specific conditions crowded, closed, poorly ventilated settings that have been described cannot be ruled out. Airborne droplet nuclei are particles of respiratory secretions <5 microns. Droplet nuclei can remain suspended in the air for extended periods and thus can be a source of inhalational exposure for susceptible individuals.
Good for India if it is air born
1. Focus will change to air born prevention
2. TB is also air born, control measures will also control it
3. Measles and chicken pox ware also air borne and will get prevention focus
4. Airborne infection isolation rooms will become a reality in every emergency room and health cate settings
5. N 95 masks will become a fashion and reality in crowded, poorly ventilated, closed and polluted settings
6. N 95 industry will boom in the country
7. N95 masks will make life easier due to reduction in PM 2.5 related illnesses and will reduce the burden of heart attacks and paralysis
8. Role of air purifier will become more important in indoor settings
9. There will be surge of open ventilation, ventilated houses and hospitals and open restaurants
10. Gatherings will become less crowded