9622.807 acres of defence land has been reported to be encroached in the country as per details are given below:-
State/UT-wise details of encroachment of defence land as on 31.12.2018
|S. No.||State/Union Territory||Area of encroachment
|2||Andaman & Nicobar||26.521|
|13||Jammu & Kashmir||339.2447|
|35||Dadra & Nagar Haveli||0|
|36||Daman & Diu||0|
Detection, prevention and removal of encroachment is a continuous exercise. Action for removal of encroachments on defence land are taken under the provisions of Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act, 1971 as well as under the Cantonment Act, 2006. Cases are also taken up with State or Municipal authorities for resolution of the problem. Additionally, the Government has undertaken the following steps to check encroachment:
- Strengthening of defence land management by way of digitisation of land records, survey, demarcation and verification of defence lands and land Audit.
- Issue of detailed instructions by the Government emphasizing the need for ensuring vigilance, detection and prevention of new encroachments.
- The process of defence land audit has been institutionalised from 2011-12 as a continuing process.
- Court cases are being pursued to evict encroachers.
- Close liaison is being maintained with revenue and civil police authorities to detect attempt to encroach upon the defence land by encroachers.
- Defence lands located in isolated locations are being fenced and regular patrolling is being carried out to safeguard the lands from encroachers and unauthorized construction.
This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Shripad Naik in a written reply to ShriSushil Kumar Gupta in Rajya Sabha today.