By Dr Swati Shah
Singapore an island country in Southeast Asia got independence nearly the same time as India but today the nation developed itself as an Asian tiger economy. The country is rated high in international ratings, foreign exchange, health, and trade; also recognized among the technology ready, smartest, innovative, safest and expensive place to live in the world. Despite lacking natural resources and much turbulence in the initial years the country emerged as a major tourist destination, a global business, commerce, education, human capital, least corrupt and an important transportation hub.
Responsible tourism contributes significantly to the country economy; well aided public transportation system which involves mass rapid transit (MRT) is an added advantage. The magnets that attract tourist to this beautiful city incorporate:
- Merlion park offers you with the view of iconic symbol ‘the large Merlion statue’ with lion head and fish body which represents the city’s had its origin as fishing village and is regarded as the pride of Singapore.
- Sentosa Island draws you to perfect day out with natures walk, entertainment, beaches and restaurants. The island has so much to offer to every age group and is a must go place to relax and enjoy.
- Singapore zoo with extraordinary collection of animals embraced the open zoo concept where animals roam freely in their natural surroundings and are separated from visitors via hidden dry or wet moats providing you with the change to photograph your favorite animal without cage or obstruction.
- For bird watchers Jurong Bird Park offers different species of birds from around the world, including flamingos and the tallest man-made water park. It also offers informative and entertaining shows like bird and buddies during the day.
- Singapore Flyer offers you the ride of breathtaking 360 degree views along the river and is perfectly ready to mesmerize you at night.
- The elegant building housing Singapore History Museum will let you explore the heritage, history and archaeology.
- Gardens by the Bay is the amazing park palisade with trees and offers miraculous view of Marina bay.
- The world’s first double Helix bridge resembling DNA is a unique pedestrian bridge with five viewing platform offering hypnotizing views of Singapore.
- Buddha Tooth relic temple and museum takes you to the immense devotion towards Buddhism. It houses a stupa consisting 320 kgs of gold donated by devotees.
- River Safari is a theme park based on different rivers and is amongst the most visited attractions that combined wildlife with fun and adventure. It is a must visit and enjoyable place if you are with kids.
- Singapore Night safari is world’s first of its kind that takes you to a nocturnal zoo in tropical forest with lighting that resembles moonlight so as not to disturb the wildlife and animals are separated via natural barriers from visitors rather than cages.
The other major attractions to this amazing place includes Thian Hock keng temple i.e. the temple of heavenly happiness is oldest and most important temple, St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Catherdral of the good Shepherd, Armenian Church, Sri Thendayuthapani temple is a hindu temple with 48 engraved glass panels to figure rising and setting sun, Yueh Hai Ching temple is considered as the temple of love where lovers pray to bless them with love and happiness, Malay heritage centre, duck tour, temple of thousands lights, Tiger brewery is finest beer brewery, Philatelic museum incorporates historical collection of stamps, Singapore turf club extends horse racing entertainment, Cricket club, Marina Barrage, Art museum, Civilian war memorial which commemorates the sacrifices of people of Singapore during the second world war, red dot design museum with collection of creative exhibits, flower dome with mesmerizing collection of flowers, Kuan Yin thong hood cho temple, Science centre Singapore, Botanic garden which in-house the Orchid garden, Henderson waves the highest pedestrian bridge in Singapore, Universal studios take you to the engrossing world of cameras, movies and action, Kranji war memorial honors people from various countries who sacrificed their life for Singapore during the second world war, MacRitchie nature trail is a 3km trail palisade with rainforest and is a paradise for nature lovers, Bukit timah nature reserve is another picturesque protected rainforest, Marina bay golf course, Mint toy museum with collection of vintage toys, Chijmes, City hall, Sultan mosque, Omni theatre and planetarium is a learning paradise, wild – wild wet is water theme park with enthralling rides, SEA aquarium led you to have interaction with marine inhabitants through glass panels. The small country is so well – managed, beautifully designed and offers so much that it will make you fall in love and you will wish to be here forever.