The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its approval to the following proposals:
- Establishment of new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Manethi, District Rewari, Haryana at a cost of Rs. 1299 crore; and
- Creation of one post of Director in the basic pay of Rs. 2,25,000/- (fixed) plus NPA (however, pay + NPA would not exceed Rs. 2,37,500/-) for for the above AIIMS.
- New AIIMS will add 100 UG (MBBS) seats and 60 B.Sc (Nursing) seats.
- New AIIMS will have 15-20 Super Specialty Departments.
- New AIIMS will add around 750 hospital beds.
- As per data of current functional AIIMS, it is expected that each new AIIMS would cater to around 1500 OPD patients per day and around 1000 IPD patients per month.
Establishment of new AIIMS involves creation of Hospital, Teaching Block for medical & nursing courses, residential complex and allied facilities/services, broadly on the pattern of AIIMS, New Delhi and other six new AIIMS taken up under Phase-I of PMSSY. The objective is to establish the new AIIMS as Institutions of National Importance for providing quality tertiary healthcare, medical education, nursing education and research in the Region.
The proposed institution shall have a hospital with capacity of 750 beds which will include Emergency / Trauma Beds, AYUSH Beds, Private Beds and ICU Speciality& Super Speciality beds. In addition, there will be a Medical College, AYUSH Block, Auditorium, Night Shelter, Guest House, Hostels and residential facilities. The establishment of the new AIIMS will create capital assets for which requisite specialized manpower will be created, based on the pattern of the six new AIIMS, for their maintenance and upkeep. The recurring cost on these Institutions shall be met through Grant-in-Aid to them from Plan Budget Head of PMSSY of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Setting up of new AIIMS would not only transform health education and training but also address the shortfall of health care professionals in the region.
- The establishment of new AIIMS will serve the dual purpose of providing super, specialty health care to the population while also help create a large pool of doctors and other health workers in this region that can be available for primary and secondary level institutions / facilities being created under National Health Mission (NHM). Construction of new AIIMS is fully funded by the Central Government. The Operations & Maintenance expenses on new AIIMS are also fully borne by the Central Government.
Setting up new AIIMS in is expected to result in employment generation for nearly 3000 people in various faculty & non faculty posts in each of the AIIMS. Further, indirect employment generation will take place due to facilities & services like shopping centre, canteens, etc. coming in the vicinity of new AIIMS. The construction activity involved for creation of the physical infrastructure for the various new AIIMS is also expected to generate substantial employment in the construction phase as well.
The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY), a Central Sector Scheme, aims at correcting the imbalances in the availability of affordable tertiary healthcare facilities in different parts of the country in general, and augmenting facilities for quality medical education in the under-served States in particular. AIIMS in Haryana was announced by the Hon’ble Finance Minister in his Interim Budget Speech for the year 2019-20. Cost of construction and running of the new AIIMS would be met by the Central Government under PMSSY.