The 1st Advance Estimates of production of major Kharif crops for 2018-19 have been released by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare on 26th September, 2018. The assessment of production of different crops is based on the feedback received from States and validated with information available from other sources. The estimated production of various crops as per the 1st Advance Estimates for 2018-19 vis- à-Vis the comparative estimates for the years 2003-04 onwards is enclosed.
- As per 1st Advance Estimates, the estimated production of major crops during Kharif 2018-19 is as under:
- Foodgrains – 141.59 million tonnes.
- Rice – 99.24 million tonnes.
- Nutri / Coarse Cereals – 33.13 million tonnes.
- Maize – 21.47 million tonnes.
- Pulses – 9.22 million tonnes.
- Tur – 4.08 million tonnes.
- Urad – 2.65 million tonnes.
- Foodgrains – 141.59 million tonnes.
- Oilseeds – 22.19 million tonnes.
- Soyabean – 13.46 million tonnes
- Groundnut – 6.33 million tonnes
- Castorseed – 1.52 million tonnes
- Cotton – 32.48 million bales (of 170 kg each)
- Jute & Mesta -10.17 million bales (of 180 kg each)
- Sugarcane – 383.89 million tonnes
- The cumulative rainfall in the country during the monsoon season i.e. 01st June to 12th September, 2018 has been 8% lower than Long Period Average (LPA). The cumulative rainfall in North West India, Central India and South Peninsula during the aforesaid period has been normal. Accordingly, most of the major crops producing states have witnessed normal rainfall. However, these are preliminary estimates and would undergo revision based on further feedback from the States.
- As per the First Advance Estimates, total production of Kharif Foodgrains during 2018-19 is estimated at 141.59 million tonnes. This is higher by 0.86 million tonnes as compared to last year’s Kharif foodgrains production of 140.73 million tonnes. Further, kharif foodgrain production is 11.94 million tonnes more than the average production of five years (2012-13 to 2016-17) of 129.65 million tonnes.
- Total production of Kharif rice is estimated at 99.24 million tonnes. This is higher by
1.74 million tonnes than the last year’s production of 97.50 million tonnes. Further, it is higher by 6.64 million tonnes over the average production of Kharif rice during the last five years.
- The total production of Nutri / coarse cereals in the country has decreased to 33.13 million tonnes as compared to 33.89 million tonnes during 2017-18. Production of Maize is expected to be 21.47 million tonnes which is higher by 1.23 million tonnes than that of last year’s production of 20.24 million tonnes. Further, this is more than 4.40 million tonnes than the average production of maize during the last five years.
- The total production of Kharif pulses is estimated at 9.22 million tonnes which is lower by 0.12 million tonnes than the last year’s production of 9.34 million tonnes. However, kharif pulses estimated production is 2.67 million tonnes more than the last five years average production.
- The total production of Kharif oilseeds in the country is estimated at 22.19 million tonnes as compared to 21.00 million tonnes during 2017-18, i.e., an increase of 1.19 million tonnes. Also, it is higher by 2.02 million tonnes than the average production of last five years.
- Production of Sugarcane is estimated at 383.89 million tonnes which is higher by 6.99 million tonnes than the last year’s production of 376.90 million tonnes. Further, it is higher by
41.85 million tonnes than the average production of last five years.
- Estimated production of Cotton is 32.48 million bales (of 170 kg each) and Production of Jute & Mesta estimated at 10.17 million bales (of 180 kg each)